Ukl shïkal ûkaj kif ukl Kryonomicon.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Chapter 50 - Ambush

Screams rang out. Dust from the long-abandoned ceiling tiles fell on the people, and a cacophony of noise and confusion rang out among them. Jude called out for the people to get their weapons, but only a few people listened to him and did so.

Among those were Relik, Krynn, Tyra, and Kysandra, as was no surprise. Ralyn also readied his weapon to fight against whatever had caused the explosion.

It was obvious from the sound and feel of the explosion that it had occurred on the floor above them, so they ran to the nearest stairwell and traveled upwards. They slammed open the door to see what was going on.

A number of creatures stood there. There were both humans and kryons, brothers fighting side-by-side against the Free Council. And in the middle of the group stood one of the half-breeds, acting authoritative, his evil clearly showing throughout the room.

Jude recognized him immediately. It was Lukäski.

“Hold your fire!” called Lukäski to his men. They dropped their guns towards the floor, but were still clearly ready to open fire on command.

Jude looked him straight in the eye.

”Lukäski, it has been some time, hasn’t it? I thought I killed you back in that street!”

Lukäski broke out into a laugh.

“Jude, you are foolish, just like the rest of the members of your race. Except those that fight along side me, the humans from the dominant world of Kryon. I did not die, I used an old mind trick to make my escape.

“I have learned that you have gained some powers in those abilities, after the ghost of my former commander, another half-breed called Leader, came to me. He warned that you were much more dangerous than I had thought. Doesn’t seem quite right now, now does it?”

Jude looked at him, anger welling up within him. Tyra leaned over to whisper to Jude.

“Jude, who is this man? How do you know each other?”

“No time for me to tell you that Tyra. If we escape, I’ll tell you at a more convenient time.”

Lukäski laughed again.

“Ah, I see you have a girlfriend now, Jude. Perhaps I should kill her first?”

Kysandra stepped out in front of Tyra.

“You’ll have to kill me first, filth.”

“Ah, perhaps I was mistaken. I apologize. You don’t have a girlfriend, you have a harem!”

Kysandra screamed in rage.

“By no means are Jude and I on those terms! I am devoted to my lover and my lover alone!”

Lukäski flicked his tongue at her. It was the first time that any of them had seen it, and he looked strangely reptilian, with a forked, scaled tongue. He raised one of his hands into the air, and the kryon and human warriors raised their weapons.

“I am afraid it is time for you to die, Jude. You and your friends.”

The door behind them burst open. Standing behind it was a large group of people from the Free Council. Sylva stood at the front of the group, wielding a large human rifle.

“Get to the side!” she yelled. The people who had been talking to Lukäski jumped to the side, and not a moment too soon. The Council opened fire.

Heat and light rang out, sowing confusion through the room. Kryons and men fell to the ground, dead. Lukäski stared at Jude.

“You won’t get away this!” he yelled. There was a blinding flash, and he was gone. The rest of the group was still there.

The shots continued for only a few more seconds. The group was not nearly strong enough to take on the entire council. Their bodies were clearly lying on the ground, but Lukäski’s was not. He had likely escaped once again.

The room was catching fire. It was on the fifth floor, and Kysandra called out to the Council.

“Run! We must leave this place!” Her voice was as cautionary as it as frantic. They took off in a mad dash for the ground below.

The building was beginning to collapse from the sheer size of the fire, and just as the last person cleared the doors, it crumbled into ash.

The Council stood outside the ruins of the Smith Weapon Corporation. What was once the headquarters for the manufacturer of the weapons that they wielded was now ash like the rest of the city.

Jude took a few steps away from the Council, and cursed and kicked the dust. They may have survived, but Lukäski had gotten away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home